Saturday, September 20, 2008

A World Without Alzheimers

I have to say I teared up when I read THIS post from Carolyn King right around the time of the last Gina K. Designs release. She shared the stamp set she illustrated - Whimsical Autumn - and talked about her "Mamo" - her grandma that passed away recently from the effects of Alzheimer's. She told us all how 100% of her proceeds from this set would go toward Alzheimer's awareness. I thought about it a lot. I really admired Carolyn for using her God given talents to help others. What a beautiful thing. Well, a little more than a week ago, I was talking with Jan Marie, one of the owners of Flourishes and she said, "I really want to do something." I simply said - "Then, let's do it." Jan Marie underscored that this stamping community is too small NOT to stamp our hearts out and support a "sister" with her cause. I agreed wholeheartedly and so did the Flourishes Design Team and Friends of Flourishes Blog Team. We all ordered the set and decided to post a card on a day that means so much - September 21st - World Alzheimer's Day.

As we got ready for this. I did some research. I had no idea that 5 million Americans live with Alzheimers and that every 71 seconds, someone will develop it. It's the sixth leading cause of death. That's startling.

You might wonder why I feel so passionate about this. This is the reason... roughly 14 years ago, my grandpa died from the effects of Alzheimers. He was a quiet man who loved to work with his hands and was always tinkering with something. He had a knack for making miniature furniture pieces. It was so hard to watch his mind unravel. I can't imagine how painful it must have been for my grandma knowing he just didn't recognize her any more. That's why, when I picked up Carolyn's set, I felt joy not only because of the "happy" images but for the good that will come of it!

Here's a peek at my card... it's actually a peek-a-boo card! I used Stampin' Up's Word Window Punch to let my tag like card slide down into the pocket. All of the images were colored with Copic markers and Prismacolor Pencils.
We hope you travel from blog to blog and read our stories. If you can, buy Carolyn’s set knowing you will be helping other families who are working through this as well. To see how our team is helping in the cause, visit

Cindy Haffner
Cindy Lawrence
Leslie Miller
Susan Roberts
Faith Hofrichter
Barb Schram
Laura Fredrickson
Jan Marie Caruso
Sharon Doolittle
Nancy Kirk

And... don't forget to stop by Carolyn's blog, she has major blog candy that she is giving away in honor of World Alzheimer's Day!

Post a Comment