Friday, January 19, 2018

Hues En Masse!

Hello all and happiest of Fridays to you! I have some old to me but new to you creations to share today and.... I hope you enjoy!

So, for starters, with both creations I am picking up on the color cues from Power Poppy's Hues to Use! If you've never played along with this weekly color challenge, you're missing out! You can click HERE to check out the archives and then, below, I am going to share a couple color combos from recent weeks along with my creations!

First up.... CARD #1



This little number was the color combination from January 9th. Yes, that might have been a few weeks ago but.... guess what? The linky for our Hues to Use challenge is never-ending, which means you can scroll through the archives, pick a color trio that tickles your creative fancy and then, put it into play in your creation! I loved this color scheme above because I am a fan of plum. I love, love, love me some purple and this shade is especially rich. Now, I admit, I would never have put these three colors together on their own but in nature, it looks so beautiful! So, I gave it a try!


When I check out the hues, I often stare at the palette and say - "What stamp set would rock this color combo?" Sometimes, the choices are easy. Other times, not so much. For some reason, I kept coming back to Poppies. I am not sure if I have been craving a color-fest with this stamp set or if I really, deep down felt that stamp set was the perfect pick. Regardless, I inked it up and let it fly!

After stamping in Memento Tuxedo Black ink, I grabbed my Copic Markers and these were the ones I picked! The reds were used on the poppies, the yellow plus YG03 and YG06 were used for the centers, the BV0000 and V01 were used to shade my flower and the greens took care of the leaves and stems!


After coloring up my image, the rest is just matting it up! I actually picked some Stampin' Up and My Mind's Eye scraps from my decorative paper stash and felt lucky that I had just the right purples, reds and yellows! I should also mention that the sentiment is also from the Poppies set.

Here's a little close up for y'all! You can see that I did go ahead and add some white gel pen accents to the center of my poppies.

And that, my friends, is it for the first card!

Next up..... CARD #2!

Will you look at those steely blue hues? If you missed this little shot on Marcella's Instagram,there is a super duper fun story behind this particular trio of colors that you see here....



She and her friend, Trenna, decided to make candy agates over the holiday season and this is one in progress! Once baked, THIS is how they turned out -- little color infused candy slices that could be edible or could be spray sealed to enjoy as ornaments for seasons to come! You can click HERE, HERE and HERE for more progress photos! Marcy decided to seal some to treasure down the road so she painted the edges but you can choose non-toxic edging that makes these little numbers as delicious as they are eye-catching!

I have to admit, when I sat down to create, this card was not what I anticipated or saw with my mind's eye, but, I do like it! I used all of the colors but did so in a very soft way. The navy is in the ink that was chosen when I printed out my Tree Peony digital stamp. And then used as well in my Copic markers that I picked to add a little color here and there. Here's a peek at the markers that I used. As you can see... not many!

After I colored up my Tree Peony, I did use the sentiment from the Peony Muse clear stamp set and using Versamark ink and silver detail embossing powder, I added the sentiment on a punched heart shape. Add a little silver cording and that's pretty much it for this card other than the double mat in silver and light blue papers! Actually, I forgot a step! I did lay down a stencil and using Summer Sky Memento Ink, I sponged on some ink through a Tim Holtz dotted stencil. I love the depth it added without being over the top!

Here's a closeup for you!

And that my friends is it! I am so glad you decided to stop in this week! I hope one of these color combos will inspire you to play along with me with Hues to Use! If you need a little more inspiraiton, there is a trio of designers who are ready to share more creative bits with you! 




And..... I hope you have an amazingly creative weekend! I decided I need to bust out of my cabin fever a bit and try something new. What that is right now, I have no idea! LOL! But, I am feeling a bit adventurous! Any ideas for me??? hehe!  ;-) Hope you seize the weekend and I will see you back here soon! 

Until next week!
~Julie

5 comments:

Katie Sims said...

BOTH card are stunning! I love your Hues to Use challenge and you always knock it out of the park...what great inspiration! (((HUGS)))

Stacy Morgan said...

Julie both of these are wonderful. I sure do like the blue hues and the silver embossing! Delightful creations.

Leslie Miller said...

Who could not be inspired by those gorgeous colors? And you used them so beautifully on your poppies. It's a wonderful image to color and looks very cheerful on the card you designed for it. Also love the monochrome peonies. Who knew they could look so amazing in these cool shades? So, you're busting out? I can't wait to see!

Ann said...

Lovely, lovely!

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Julie! I love both of these cards, and it's fun to read about how you didn't think these first colors would work. But they are beautiful together and do "cry" poppies!! Hehe! I think it would be fun to challenge ourselves to use some strange colors, but then again -- I'm not a fan of the SCS color challenge. Perhaps not. Haha! I absolutely love your second card and think it's genius how you've used the ink outline for the darkest and then softly colored the lighter two hues. Love the stenciling and silver cord. And the heart with the embossed sentiment is a gorgeous finish! Stunning, sweet friend! Warm, sunny hugs!