Sunday, February 17, 2008

My take on the challenge!



You know what I learned today? Don't challenge others and post a sketch when you don't have an idea first. Man, that was like child birth! I ripped and cut and wondered when this card was going to come together. Some cards are just like that!


This little birdie is from a Stampin' Up set called Nature's Wonders. Do you want to know what is sad? I have never used this little guy. He is too cute for words and he's been stuffed in a box for well over a year. Probably well over two years! Poor guy. I wanted to make him a robin because, like most of you, I am searching for a little spring time! I need it! SOON! The paper is K & Company paper and the shapes were done with my rectangle Nesties and scalloped Nesties. The image was done with the same technique that Phyl demoed yesterday - with the watercolor on marl paper. It was a fun paper to play with and it's pretty forgiving. Like watercolor paper, if you color outside the lines, you can dab up excess color no problem just by dabbing on a little water to the area. LOVE that!

Another cool thing is, I wanted to use the words that are a part of this stamp set but, I didn't want to mask for the bird and I didn't obviously want words to be going through the bird. So, I took tea dye ink (Tim Holtz Distress Ink) and inked up my stamp. Then, I took a paper towel and wiped just the center of the stamp to remove the ink. I can see really doing this on larger images. I think I am going to experiment more with this for sure!

Here's a close up of the birdie...
I am sure there are some bird enthusiasts out there that might take issue with the way I colored my robin here. It wasn't until just before this post that I searched out what a robin really looked like. I didn't realize his head was darker than the body part. Oh well! I still think he's a cutie!!!

Off to fix dinner and chill! Hope you are enjoying your Sunday!

Edited To Add: Since I had never used this guy and have had him since 2004, "a little birdie" suggested I enter it into my friend's Leap Year card challenge over at Jacki Jones place. If you want to check her challenge out--Click HERE

17 comments:

Janine said...

So So pretty Julie... This is a nice stamp !! Enjoy your evening. !!

Mauna said...

Great Card! I added you to my blog list to visit.

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite sets, the bird is the best, I use him (or her) all the time. Your card is lovely! I enjoy reading your blog also. Have a great week...

Karen Lindsay said...

I'm a bird person and I love your card! You should be completely satisfied with the result of your efforts. I'm going to have to get some of that paper to play with.

Diane said...

Gorgeous Julie!!! Let him fly and be free,as if he was in that box for 2 years!!! Shame on you,lol!

Becca said...

Your Royal Hiness Julie..you are too funny and the bird looks very real...great job on the card. How many pounds was the bird at birth?

LOL>>>

You always make beautiful cards.

Did you clean up your royal (stampin' quarters)room? I don't think that Vicky assigned us our own Butlers and Valets..tee hee hee. I could use one or the other right about now. I am cleaning up from Valentine's.
Have a great Monday,
Bela (Princess to some and Queen mom to the kids LOL)

Anonymous said...

Lov your designs as always. I especially love the color combinations. It looks awesome as all our cards do!
You are on my list of people to check out daily.
Deb

Anonymous said...

julie I love this card....by the way I don't think I told you I have you on my blog list cause I like to visit you every day! that's visit, not stalking, well, I guess I could be accused of stalking. hehehe

Agnieszka Posłuszny said...

Julie, the birdie stamp is sweet and you card is really lovely! I wish I'd discovered your blog earlier... :-)

Agnieszka

PS I dropped you a message via Flickr, hope you can read it.

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Love the deep rich colors, this is just gorgeous!!! Truly gorgeous!!!

Sharon in NE said...

It may have been a difficult delivery, but well worth it. It is wonderful!

The Rubber Maid said...

You knocked it out of the ballpark!
Lovely card and I hope it signals
Spring is on the way. MOM

Mescrap said...

Wow !
It's such a cool card ! Love the bird .

Jules said...

awww he is really so cute!
Yes we are both bird-brains! That cracked me up!
I think we are all just searching for anything spring!
Winter just seems too too long this year!
Anyway, I really love your background, I have seen tons of Tims ink but have yet to pick one up. I really like this technique, I am always looking for a new background for my images, I tend to always grab my sponge and daubber. Thanks for the great idea.
Again you have created such a pretty card!

Lesli said...

Gorgeous card Julie - your talent never ceases to amaze me!!!

Jacki Marie said...

This blog is rated E for excellent by me too! I just might try this sketch...

Anonymous said...

Julie this is beautiful! I have this set and love it so much.