Sunday, February 17, 2008

My take on the challenge!



You know what I learned today? Don't challenge others and post a sketch when you don't have an idea first. Man, that was like child birth! I ripped and cut and wondered when this card was going to come together. Some cards are just like that!


This little birdie is from a Stampin' Up set called Nature's Wonders. Do you want to know what is sad? I have never used this little guy. He is too cute for words and he's been stuffed in a box for well over a year. Probably well over two years! Poor guy. I wanted to make him a robin because, like most of you, I am searching for a little spring time! I need it! SOON! The paper is K & Company paper and the shapes were done with my rectangle Nesties and scalloped Nesties. The image was done with the same technique that Phyl demoed yesterday - with the watercolor on marl paper. It was a fun paper to play with and it's pretty forgiving. Like watercolor paper, if you color outside the lines, you can dab up excess color no problem just by dabbing on a little water to the area. LOVE that!

Another cool thing is, I wanted to use the words that are a part of this stamp set but, I didn't want to mask for the bird and I didn't obviously want words to be going through the bird. So, I took tea dye ink (Tim Holtz Distress Ink) and inked up my stamp. Then, I took a paper towel and wiped just the center of the stamp to remove the ink. I can see really doing this on larger images. I think I am going to experiment more with this for sure!

Here's a close up of the birdie...
I am sure there are some bird enthusiasts out there that might take issue with the way I colored my robin here. It wasn't until just before this post that I searched out what a robin really looked like. I didn't realize his head was darker than the body part. Oh well! I still think he's a cutie!!!

Off to fix dinner and chill! Hope you are enjoying your Sunday!

Edited To Add: Since I had never used this guy and have had him since 2004, "a little birdie" suggested I enter it into my friend's Leap Year card challenge over at Jacki Jones place. If you want to check her challenge out--Click HERE
Post a Comment