Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Little Snow Tree

I don't know about you, but when I set my eyes on any kind of snow globe, I just can't help but pick it up and turn it over to magically stare at all the snow and glitter. It's like an instant stress reliever! So, when I saw this little snow globe stamp from Impression Obsession, I thought... "Awwww!" It just looked like a little Charlie Brown tree, which only adds to the sweetness!


I started by cutting out my Labels 8 shape (largest die) from some Stampin' Up decorative paper. I edged it with some silver stitching and then created my card stock base by making it smaller than my labels shape so that the die would, in essence, hide the card. Before I adhered my shape to the card base, I added some grosgrain ribbon by wrapping it and securing it with glue dots.

The Snowy Tree Globe was stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink twice - one for the base image and a second time so that I could pop up the actual globe with some foam tape. Before I attached my globe, I put the Labels 8 die back on and sponged some light blue ink around my globe. Then... I attached the globe and colored it up with Copic markers - I used B21 and B24 for the snow globe base, YG91 and YG93 for the tree branches, and the Snow Green Pastel BG0000 to create some color on my snow. After I was done coloring, I took a Quickie Glue Pen and painted on some areas of my snow and then accented with some fine Diamond glitter.

See that button? there is a method to my madness there. The button (glittered button by American Crafts) actually hangs over my front image - which - you can't tell but it is actually a mini card on my card front. The button is placed so that it will hold the flap on my mini card down.

Here's a peek inside the mini card...The sentiment is also from IO and can be found HERE. And, here's a peek at how the button actually holds it in place! And that, my friends is it! It's beginning to look at lot like Christmas -- not only here on my blog but in my house too! We spent the night starting to decorate and pumped up the Christmas music. Are you getting in the holiday spirit??? It will be here before we all know it! :-)

Thanks so much for stopping by! See you back here soon!

11 comments:

The Rubber Maid said...

So smart in your button useage. Sweet Smart and Simple. Hey that's a new challenge SSAS. Love the background paper. Mom

Janine said...

Hi sweetie!! Love your card!! The tree is so cute...

Diane said...

Very pretty Julie!! I'm not in the mood at all,hope it comes by my place soon. Cause I ain't feeling it at all this year!

ChristineCreations said...

Oh that silvery stitching is so pretty Julie! Such a sweet card. And I like the idea of the Labels 8as a card shape too.

NancyK said...

Such a cute "card on a card"! I too love snow globes - and its just natural to want to pick them up and give them a good shake. Your blog looks "merry and bright!"

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Great card, Julie! Love the card on a card idea and the button is a terrific 'closure' idea! Nice job!

Silke Ledlow said...

Super cute card!!! The snow globe is awesome!!! Hugs ~S~

Sabrina Jackson said...

OMGosh, Julie, what a fun card!!!! I love that snow globe...growing up we had tons of them and they kind of disappeared...these days I wish my Mom would have taken them from us to preserve the memories. Thanks for bringing some of that back!!!! Hugs, Sabrina

Stacy Morgan said...

This is so cute, I like the snowglobe too. Great soft colors for winter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely globe, Julie! My waiting to buy at HL was a total disappointment since all well painted cute or nativity were taken leaving tired gaudy or poorly painted units. No purchase for GD who will hopefully become a snow globe tipper, too. Thank you, thank you! Lovely, blith and whimsy all wrapped in blues...ahhhhh. Tip! Snow! Sparkle!...ahhhhh. Thank you.
Keep Looking UP!

Shirley said...

This is lovely too! What gorgeous colors and the whole card is wonderful! How creative!