Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Focus.... Calendars!

Hi all and Happy Friday! It's been busy here around the Koerber house and we have a wedding, baby shower, basketball games and helping my mom finish her moving. I might need some deep breathing exercises! ;-)

I do have a fun project. What do you get when you pair up the letter "H", a plaque, a dowel and some office badges? You get a calendar!! Bear with me, this will all make sense. Promise! I started when I saw these badges below at Office Max. I just knew that I could do something fun with them. When Flourishes came out with it's 2011 Calendar download, the wheels started spinning. So... I started with these!
While those wheels were spinning, I saw in my head a kind of hanging calendar holder. I asked hubby to help. We took a trip to Hobby Lobby and picked up these things!
How can I make a holder with these things?Well, that's where hubby came into play. We used the "H" and cut it a part to create our frame, add a 1/2" hold on both sides for the dowel to fit through. Screw it into a regular wood plaque and paint it up and this is what you have! The wood supplies totaled $2.27. Add in a few binder rings and the badge holders and I'm pretty sure this was a $5 project!

I used the Calendar download found HERE and paired it up with Flourishes A Year of Flowers 1. I've only made the first four months of this calendar but I know I'll use A Year of Flowers 2 and A Year of Flowers 3 to finish it up. I should mention, I used Adobe Elements to reduce the size of the calendar to fit inthe 2.5 by 3.5" holder.
Here's a closer look at one of the pages. I colored them all up with Copic Markers and I also used one of the swirls from the Siberian Iris Set to stamp in the corners and then edged with a silver leaf pen.


And, to give the end of the dowels a little pizazz... just add a big rhinestone! :-)
I'm going to keep this little calendar on my kitchen windowsill next to some of my favorite house plants so I never forget what day it is! :-)  Be sure to stop by the Flourishes Blog HERE to see some gorgeous calendar creations by Dawn and a very special guest! Some of the other Flourishes gals also were inspired. So, hop on over and see...

Christine Okken
Cindy Lawrence
Danielle Kennedy
Dawn Burnworth
Leslie Miller
Stacy Morgan
Barbara Anders
Laura Fredrickson - This is her last post on the DT :-(  but she has TONS of blog candy as a farewell!


Thanks for stopping by! Have a fabulous weekend and I'll see you back here soon!

Post a Comment