Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there! I hope you have a relaxing and wonderful day!

Here's a bunch of flowers created and "grown" especially for you! To make this card, I stamped in permanent black ink (Versafine Black Onyx), heat set and then colored with Prismacolor Pencils and blending with Gamsol - odorless mineral spirits. I love this technique and have been doing it since I started stamping AGES ago! If you ever want to see some of my other work, click HERE.This was my site before I entered blog land! It's pretty archaic but I keep it up for a good gallery of old cards. Anyway, this technique of layering colors and blending with mineral spirits creates a really vibrant look.

I wish I knew what image this was! I got this in an image swap from Princess Jacki!! She sent me a box FULL of images. Man, I'll be coloring those for-EVER! I love to color so it really was the sweetest gift! So Princess or anyone else who knows---if you know who made this geranium stamp - let me know!

The background stamp is called Pretty Pattern from Cornish Heritage Farms. LOVE their backgrounders -- don't you? I'm proud that this company calls Montana home. It's nice to have such a cool company in your home state!! In addition to creating the background, I also stamped the circle tag with it using distress ink (Tea Dye). The sentiment is called Mini Messages from Impression Obsession and is a part of their new summer line! Look for them in stores now! Mitra tells me they should be on the IO website soon! Other deets about this card? Chalked around the image before I colored, used a corner rounder on the edges, used a 1" circle punch for the tag and then strung some hemp cord (Stampin' Up) through to attach the tag. Done!

Here's a close up so you can see how vibrant this color is!
Before I go... I want to brag a bit about my daughter!! We have an event called the Women's Run each year and the money raised goes to help in areas of women's health i.e. free mammograms and exams etc. Well, my 4-year-old decided she wanted to "run the race." So we signed up for the 2-mile and I thought I would be carrying her before long. But I said, she said she wanted to! So.... here's us race morning (7:30 is early for me!)

And here is her IN the race. She RAN THE WHOLE WAY! And, she finished in under 28 minutes. What? That's crazy with those little legs! Here she is in action! That's her Aunt Teri with her guiding her through the crowd!
And here she is at the finish line still wearing her "game face!" She actually yelled at the end - "You gotta want it!!!" I cracked up!! Seriously! Needless to say, I'm terribly proud!! She kept ME going!

Guess this is a start to a new tradition!

Until tomorrow.... HAVE A HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

22 comments:

Chris said...

Great photos of the Womens Run!! I am hoping next year to be able to do a 4 generation participation run.
The card is absolutely beautiful. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Dottie K. said...

Beautiful card! What a special moment and she should be very proud of herself. Way to go!!!! :)

Annapurna said...

Same to you Julie! Love the image and the card background. It looks like a picture of a geranium pot.
She is such a big girl. Wow! How did she even know "you gotta want it". Good for her and you.

Jacki Marie said...

http://www.myheartstamps4u.com/
is where that image comes from. Hey your card almost looks as good as the card I did with that stamp! just kidding! Happy Mother's Day!!!

Janine said...

Fabulous card and what a fabulous little girl!! You must be very proud of her!!
We are back!! Great trip and grad..
Talk soon
J.

Jacki Marie said...

your daughter is awesome!

Judy Rozema said...

Julie, this is just precious -- what a great way to share "life" with your daughter - by running in that race. Darling pictures and kudos to her!!

Your card is phenomenal -- the colors are just really amazing. I just got a geranium for my mom and it looks just like your card! Beautiful work!

My Paper World said...

Wow! What a great card! and what an awesome daughter! She's amazing and such a cutie too!

Theresa said...

Yes! I LOVE CHF backgrounders too!! (And your daughter is a riot! I can just image "You gotta want it"! flexing her pipes or something!)

Laura said...

The story and pictures of your daughter sure made me smile. She really is the personification of "girl power." Way to go!

Jennifer Buck said...

How adorable is she! I love the last picture! What a face! That's one for the scrapbook for sure! Beautiful card! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's day! Take care and I will talk to you soon! :)

Curt in Indy said...

Awesome card! Great color! God love your little girl! I laughed right out loud with her finish line yell! What a hoot! Happy Mom's Day to you and your Mom. Hope she is feeling better!

Best, Curt

Laura Davis said...

Julie,
Happy Mother's Day!!! Your daughter is darling:) I love your Mom's day card!
Laura

mamamia said...

Okay, I will come out of the lurking corner. That is the sweetest story about your daughter. What tenacity in one so young. You have every right to be so proud.

Micha

Stef Perry said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too! Your daughter is a cutie and a good future marathoner!

Your card is beautiful. I haven't used colored pencils in over 20 years but you have inspired me to consider a revisit.

Love your site. Thank you for sharing your ideas!

Anonymous said...

Julie, first. love the card girl. the potted geraniums look awesome and I love the hemp, the finishing touch. secondly, your daughter is just the sweetest thing and what an inspiration at her age. tell her she is a very brave girl!

Anonymous said...

What a little sweetie! Tell her I'm proud of her too! Your card is gorgeous!!! I love that geranium; so if you find out the manufacturer, please let me know. Nevermind, I just noticed in another post from jacki j. a link to find that stamp. Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card.

Your little girl is adorable! How cool that she wanted to run the race you should be very proud of her

Ann said...

Yea for E! 28 minutes is clipping along! Fun to see you all on Saturday.

Gorgeous card, as usual.

sparkling stamper said...

Your daughter is a hoot! Whatever you are doing to raise her, keep it up! I love her girl power, and at age 4! Can you even begin to imagine the possibilities when she is older??? Too cool!
Great card, too, but it's your daughter that impresses me this time!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! That is amazing!!! How ADORABLE IS SHE????
Beck

Deb Neerman said...

What an adorable little firecracker you've got there, Julie!!!

You must be just bursting with pride ... what a wonderful kid!!

She rocks! (Ummm, I had to ...)

The card is terrific, btw!