Friday, May 29, 2015

A Card in a Jiffy!

Hey all and Happy Friday!!! Hope your week is ending on a high note. Mine is what I like to call rather "chill" -- last weekend brought my son's high school graduation and his all night graduation party with all his classmates. It was a whirlwind of activity which made me feel a wee bit brain dead this week! It is so hard to believe that the weekend is already here. TIME FLEW BY! And since time flew, I have to say that I didn't have a ton to spend in my craft room this week. So, I challenged myself. I literally set a timer for 30 minutes and said, "Okay, you have 30 minutes girl! Let's make a card!!!"

HOW DID I DO IT? 

1. I PICKED A COOL SKETCH
For starters, I did a little homework before I began and scoured my Get Sketchy Pinterest Board HERE looking for a sketch. Because Pinterest can be a time sucker, I didn't count that in my 30 minutes but grabbed a cuppa joe and scrolled til I found this sketch below....



As you'll soon see, my card isn't exact but you can definitely see the influences!

2. I PICKED A COOL PAPER PACK 



With my sketch picked out, I literally ripped out papers for each part of the sketch and set them aside. Then, I quickly figured out what papers would go where and started cutting! (Time is now about 6 minutes)

3. I PICKED AN IMAGE I HAD ALREADY CUT OUT & STAMPED
I don't know if you are anything like me, but I have a stash of uncolored images that sit in a drawer for a day when I don't have a ton of time to craft. I dig through and follow this formula that I'm listing above. I have to say that it is so much easier to make a card when 1. you know where you are going with layout and 2. can rely on a paper pack that is full of papers that are already designed to coordinate with each other! (Time is now 19 minutes)

SO, LET'S GET TO MY CREATION SO YOU CAN SEE HOW IT CAME TOGETHER!


After the base portion of my card was done, I took the primrose image from Power Poppy's Potted Primrose stamp set and then color matched my markers to the papers I had picked. I used R81, R83, R85, Y21, Y23, Y32, G20, G21 and G24. I added the sentiment using Versafine Black Onyx and embellished with a Stampin' Up border punch for the notebook style edge and then added some Stampin' Up candy dots. The other border punch is an old Martha Stewart punch. The base of the image -- the pot -- is paper pieced also using a snippet from the Echo Park Creative Agenda paper pad. 

Here's a close up! I did accent the center of the flowers with a wee bit of glitter glue! 


And that, my friends, is it! Like I said, I did time myself! I started at 6:12 PM and finished at 6:39 PM --- exactly 27 minutes from start to finish. So, you see, if you go in with a plan it's much easier. While I don't love creating on a time limit, this time it felt fun because it was more of a challenge!

Want to see what my fellow Bloomies have been up to this week? Check in on their creative ingenuity and be sure to say "hi!"


Cindy Lawrence
Julie Koerber >>> you are here!
Katie Sims
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker

By the way, the clock is officially ticking on our Power & Spark "Cut It Out" challenge for May. You only have until SUNDAY to get your entries in and have a shot at a Power Poppy stamp set of YOUR CHOICE! So, click on over HERE to see the official details and what you need to do to get your name in the hat! 

Thanks for stopping by and sharing a bit of your time with me! I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead and I'll see y'all back here soon!

~Julie


Pin It

5 comments:

Tosha Leyendekker said...

A cheery card indeed!! And kudos for making it so quickly. Love the sweet little pieced pot of the Primrose and super fun papers Julie!! Darling card!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Julie, I love your card! It's beautiful with this sweet primrose pot! And I loved your challenge and also have a stash of uncolored images in a box. I love your formula and will have to try it myself. Your layout is fabulous, and I love the papers and your choices! Beautifully done - all in under 30 minutes! Go, girl! And so glad you had such a wonderful graduation weekend. Hope you have wonderful and more restful one this coming weekend! Hugs!

Karen W said...

Very cute and so country, great layout!!

Stacy Morgan said...

In a jiff and sweet as can be. Great sketch too, this is lovely Julie!

Leslie Miller said...

I love your method for creating, Julie, but it would still probably take me three days to make the card, hahahahahaha! Okay, not really, but more than 27 minutes. You rocked this! Cute!