Friday, July 12, 2019

It's Christmas in July!

Hi all and happy Friday! If you are wondering what on earth I am doing showcasing a Christmas card in the dog days of summer, it's because it's Christmas in July! Earlier this week, I ushered in a Creative Confetti Challenge, urging you to get a little bit of a jump start -- way ahead of schedule -- on your holiday card making. You can check out all the details HERE! And, as luck would have it, Power Poppy is having a sale to help enable all those holiday creations! Stay tuned, and I'll fill you all in! ;-) 

On to my creation! 

As you can see above, I chose to create a little flip card! I had a Stampin' Up card template die and -- get this -- I had NEVER used it! Yep. Never. So, I thought now was as good of a time as any! The problem I had was finding a smaller image to fit in that 2-3/4" circle. So, I opted for a Power Poppy digital stamp set --  Snowglobe Greetings! I sized it down just a wee bit to fit into a 2-1/2" circle space and then used a punch to cut it out. But, before I did that, I opened up the image in my Photoshop Elements software and essentially "erased" the snowglobe portion of the image!

If you aren't quite sure how to get that job done, never fear! I put together a digital stamp tutorial a few years back to show you how to get the most out of your digital stamps. All you need to do is click HERE to check it out if you need a little "how-to!"

Here's a close up to show you just how that image was colored up! I used so many Copics -- too many to mention! But, as I was coloring, I did have a feeling that I wanted my Santa to appear in the night sky! After all, you don't see Santa climbing down chimneys in broad daylight, do you? :-) So, I used B63 and B66 to color that up and then went back over the background with a white gel pen to add a little bit of snow! See?



I also added a little bit of glitter glue on the fuzzy parts of the hat and jacket as well as on the snow. You just have to have a little bit of sparkle on Christmas cards, don't you think?

And here's a peek at the card once you flip it! I used the sentiment from the Power Poppy clear set -- Bough Wow Wow. The word "merry" was used on the front on the little sentiment tag that I adorned with a punched out heart accented with white gel pen.



If you've never seen one of these "flippy" cards, here's a little video to show you the mechanics! 




Like I mentioned, I used a Stampin' Up card template die to create this card, but there are a ton of tutorials that mimic this look. While Stampin' Up doesn't make this die any longer, I see the Sizzix has one that is very close and even has layering elements with it, which is great! You can check it out HERE. 

And here is a link to a Flip Card Tutorial done years ago by Beate on Splitcoaststampers.com. Just click HERE to check it out! If you search "flip card" on Youtube, there are also tons of video tutorials. If you google "flip card," you'll even find templates.

So, there you have it folks -- a fun little holiday card with a twist! As I mentioned earlier, if you need a few images to help you get into the Christmas in July spirit, Power Poppy has a little extra incentive!


Check it out peeps! Just use the code JOLLYJULY and you'll get 30% off all holiday stamps, digis and dies! What a deal! And, even though the graphic above says that the sale ended last night, it is being extended through next Tuesday! So, even more time to save on some spirited designs!


There are a few Bloomies joining me this week to share a few of the goodies that they've been working on this week! So, stop by and say "hi" to these fine ladies, will you?





And that, my friends, is it! Thank you so much for stopping by and spending a little time with me! I hope you have a fabulously creative weekend and I'll see you back here real soon!

~Julie 

1 comment:

ChristineCreations said...

Oh Julie, SO cute! I love the flip element and such fun papers and patterns!