Friday, April 3, 2020

Power Poppy Fun!


Hello all and happy Friday! Earlier this week, I shared a fun little digital challenge and tutorial that I thought that I would take time to share right here on my own blog! With everyone staying home and trying to take their minds off what the world is facing right now, I've noticed quite a few folks trying their hands at new things. My daughter's taking online guitar lessons through Fender. I am taking up sewing again. I just made THIS little caddy for my knitting and it turned out so cute! Here's a picture of mine below! What was so fun about this project is that the fabric is all scraps from a quilt that I made my mom literally fifteen years ago. I knew there was a reason I hung on to those bits and pieces of fabric! 




So, with this week's Creative Confetti Challenge over on the Power Poppy Blog, I challenged you all to use digital stamps for your creation! New to digis? Well, you're in luck! A long while back I did THIS tutorial on getting used to manipulating digis. It's a great starting point. And, if you need a little ammunition to get started, Marcella has plenty HERE in the digital section of the Power Poppy Shop! 

So, with that tutorial in mind, I thought I would dig deep into my digital stash to morph an older Power Poppy stamp into a brand new design! Want to see?

I started by coming up with a concept in my head -- I wanted a frame for an uplifting sentiment so that I can spread some joy thanks to an envelope and a stamp. I know there are so many people right now that I can't see, can't hug and can't share time with. Our craft, dear friends, is the next best thing! It's a handmade creation, just from YOU made especially for that beloved friend!

So, I started by creating a 2" by 2" canvas in Photoshop Elements. This helped me to create just the right size circle. I used the Marquee tool, clicked on the circle and then drug my cursor over the square to create this image. After I made my circle, I outlined it using the "Stroke" effect, adding a thin black line around my circle. (You can see the stroke tool off to the right of my image)


Then, I created a second file to measure the size of a card front - 4-1/4 by 5-1/2 and I centered my circle on top.


I knew I wanted my frame to be surrounded by loose florals and after scrolling through the digital section of the Power Poppy Shop, I knew this image below, Sweet Pea Show would be perfect! After opening it up, I used the eraser tool (you can see I clicked it off to the left of my image in the toolbar) and I removed my background.


From there, I erased everything but sections of the image, using each piece to create my floral frame.


Sometimes, this is how small my piece was!


And after I moved and manipulated all of the pieces, this is what my frame looked like!


After printing and using a stitched rectangle die to cut out my image, I set my digi in my MISTI stamping tool.


Here's another trick that I want to show you today! I set the "Radiate Joy" sentiment from Power Poppy's M-Powering Words stamp set to the left-center of my circle. (Can I just say that this stamp set is PERFECT for the times we are living in right now -- so much encouragement! AND, it's on sale right now!) There's a reason for this! I knew by using the MISTI, I could create a shadow effect with my sentiment and I thought that would be a fun effect!  


I stamped it with Tea Rose Vivid! ink -- funny, I have had this stamp pad for probably more than 15 years and it is still going strong. They don't even make this ink any longer. My reinker will probably keep it alive for another 15 years! ;-) 


Now, here's the fun part. I cleaned off my stamp and as you can see, I offset the stamp, placing it down and to the right of the original image. You can tell when you see the "white space" around the stamp. Can you see it? I closed the door of my MISTI, setting that stamp in place and then set the MISTI aside for now. When the time comes, I will be ready for this knowing my next stamp layer will provide the perfect shadow effect! 


Then, I went to town coloring! I used my Copic markers and used R81, R83, RVOO, and R00 to color up my petals and G21, G24, G20 to color up my leaves. I highlighted around my sentiment using BG0000 and BG10. When you see my finished card, you'll see I added these highlights around the outside of my main panel as well. 

Once I was finished coloring, I pulled out my Versamark ink pad and my silver detail embossing powder and using my MISTI, I stamped and heat embossed! Isn't that fun?


And here's a peek at my finished card! It is a super simple design -- decorative paper background, silver cording, pink button. That's it! 


Now all I have to do is pop a stamp on an envelope to get this in the mail! I have a few people who could really use a note. I think my next challenge will be to make a list and take an afternoon or two to get those notes in the mail!

I happen to know that some of the other Power Poppy designers were busy in their crafting places this week! Want to hop on over and see these fine ladies? I hope you do!

Stacy Morgan 
Christine Okken
Barbara Campbell
Lisa Johansen


Thanks for stopping by folks! I hope you play along with me this week! Every entry is a shot at a $25 gift code to the Power Poppy Shop! Just click HERE to learn more.


Happy Creating & Stay Well My Friends!


5 comments:

Jeanette said...

Hi Julie, this is such a beautiful card, love how you made and coloured it. I have never used digital images so it was good to see how you did it. And also sweet peas are one of my favourite flowers. Take care and stay safe. Jeanette, New Zealand.

Stacy Morgan said...

Julie that caddy is wonderful. You are so talented in many areas. Hard word that has paid off as its super cute. Your card is just as sweet. I like the way you used the images and your coloring is awesome.

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Gorgeous caddy Julie, great job done!
Your card is beautiful, I love the colours.
Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial and your inspiration, stay safe and have a great weekend.

Lagene said...

I love the Stamp possitioning with the Misti to create the shadow effect! Thanks! How do you keep the printer ink from smudging with the copics or water color????? I have an ink jet printer.

Diane said...

Absolutely beautiful Julie! I’ve been away from stamping for a long time and I’ve picked it up again. Boy am I rusty lol. I see that you keep creating beautifully as always! Take care and stay healthy! 🥰😷