Monday, December 6, 2010

Deck the Halls Beautiful!


Hi all! It's the first Monday of the month, which means the beauty girls are at it again with this month's challenge!

HERE'S HOW TO PLAY: it's the Deck the Halls Beautiful Challenge! For this month’s Bringing Back Beautiful Challenge, use beauty in stamping to create an accent piece for a table, a mantle, a decoration or any kind of home décor. ‘Tis the season for stamping and entertaining –so let’s see if you can create a match made in heaven by using both! Link up your Bringing Back Beautiful creation here. If you upload to SCS, please use the keyword BBB05. You have until December 31st to enter! As we unveil our challenge for next month, we’ll share our True Beauties – those card makers who wowed us with this challenge! Winners will be featured on the Flourishes Blog and will receive a True Beauty blog button to display proudly on their blog!

Now... to my creation! My project isn't necessarily for the holidays but would be a fun, inexpensive gift for someone on your list that you love! This is what you need...

Supplies:

  • A wood frame (I bought mine at Michaels for $1)
  • A foam paint brush
  • Versamark or embossing ink
  • Two shades of acryllic paint
  • Your favorite stamps (I used Falling Leaves from Flourishes)
  • Deep Impression embossing powder or a semi-course clear powder.

I had seen folks do resist embossing plenty of times on paper and thought -- what if you did this on a home decor item? Well, if you do that you get what some call.. Antique Embossing! First, start by painting the base of your frame a solid color. I chose a metallic bronze so that my frame would look almost like aged copper when I was done.

Then, using Versamark ink, I stamped my leaves and embossed with the clear embossing powder.
Afterward, I created a wash with 3/4 acryllic brown paint and 1/4 water. Using the foam brush, you apply a light, almost streaky coat and let this dry. I wanted my leaves to really POP so, I applied a second coat and then let dry. Now the fun begins! Take a slightly damp paper towel and remove the paint from the embossed areas. You have to be somewhat careful so that you are only removing the paint from the embossed portions. See?
And, this is a look at my finished product!

I wish you could really see the metallic sheen in the photo! I did end up sealing this with a clear acryllic spray, just to add a little sheen. You don't need to, but I thought it would be easier to preserve. And, there you have it -- a pic of me and my DS to keep in our home or give to someone (like maybe his nana) that loves us both! :-)

If you'd like to check out the challenge, click HERE and don't forget to hop on over and see some of the other beauty girls and their fabulous creations!

Beate Johns
Cindy Coutts
Kathy Jones
Yvonne Hagane
Heather Jensen

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Monday! See you back here soon!

15 comments:

Kathy Jones said...

WOW Julie!!! This is sooooooo gorgeously elegant!!! Love the effect of the leaves on your frame and what a gorgeous photo too!!! :)

Yvonne Hagane said...

Julie, I am speechless! This looks like a gorgeous, elegant picture frame that I would buy in the store! I LOVE it!!

Glenda said...

Oh my goodness! This is lovely! How creative! I would never have thought to do this! Well done!

Beate said...

Oh my goodness! I am echoing Glenda, but that's how I feel! What a great idea. BEAUTIFUL frame!
Hugs and smiles

Dawn B. said...

This is beautiful Julie.. What a sweet photo.. Great job this month.

Cindy Coutts Designs said...

This rocks Julie! I love the picture of you and your son - he looks just like his mom :)

Stacy Morgan said...

Julie this is beautiful! i Like what you did with the leaves and what a sweet photo of you and DS.

ChristineCreations said...

Julie this is SUCH a treasure! Love how the leaves look on the frame it's a gorgeous effect. And you and Cal look SO great in this picture.

Heather Rogers said...

This is beautiful Julie! I love the embossed leaves. :)

Diane said...

Looks like a Million Bucks Julie!
GORGEOUS FRAME~!

Amanda said...

Oh Wow! I have never seen this done before and it's Beautiful!!! Julie, this is a wonderful gift idea and you always inspire me!

You are way too kind, as always, with your comments on my blog. I am thrilled and humbled that you enjoyed the card so much, you really made my day. Thank you :)

Stampvanwinkle said...

Oh Julie, This turned out so nice. Great picture too.

Blessings,
Deb

Curt in Indy said...

Wow Julie! This is one of the best projects you've ever done. This is just gorgeous. What a beautiful picture of you and your son. Awesome work! Best, Curt

Shirley Fread said...

Love that frame...and the photo too! Great work!!!

Christy Farneth-Kerr said...

wow wee Great project:)