Friday, May 27, 2016

I'm a Copy Cat!


Hello all and Happy Friday! I hope you have some nice, relaxing plans for the next few days! While the Memorial Day weekend always brings that somber reminder of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, I do enjoy having my family close while we take time away from the rush of daily life. And, that's why we'll be at the softball field all weekend, watching my D.D. play! I'm hoping for some sunshine!

Not too long ago, I was watching Jennifer McGuire's Youtube channel HERE where she was showcasing how to make a vellum overlay card. I absolutely LOVED the result and so I went on to CASE (copy and steal everything) this one. She used a solid layering stamp but I wanted to showcase one of my colored Power Poppy Images -- this one is from the Simply Camellias stamp set!

So, here's a peek at the finished card front....


The front is done by stamping the main image with Versamark ink and then dusting it with white ultrafine detail embossing powder and then heat setting it. I am always so careful when using vellum and making sure not to keep my heat tool in one spot for too long. The paper tends to buckle and warp when you let the heat stay in one spot. After the image was embossed, I did stamp the image again on a strip of white paper. From there, I had to make sure to trim my image so that I could mount it perfectly underneath the vellum to show the colored portion. I colored with Copics and used RV00, RV0000, R81, R83, R85, G20, G21, G24, and G28 and then highlighted around my flower with BG000, BG0000, and BG11. See? 


After I was done coloring, I matted my image onto a folded piece of bright pink paper so that there was 1/4" around all sides. From there, I matted the image on the inside of my vellum shell, again, making sure to line up my image perfectly underneath the white embossed lines. 

Here's a peek at the embossed portion. I also added a bit of clear Wink of Stella Clear Glitter from their brush tip pen. You can't really see the sparkle -- but trust me -- it's there! I also added some fun crystal sequins and the sentiment Take Good Care, also from this stamp set. 


And that, my friends, is it! I know this was a CASE but goodness, sometimes it is just too much fun to watch a pro and take her tips for a spin. I love trying new things and now I wonder how many more videos I'll take in in the days and weeks to come. Forget Netflix, I might end up binge watching some of Jennifer's work! ;-)

Speaking of talented ladies, the Bloomies are here to share a bit of what they've been working on this week! You'll have to stop by and pay them a visit! I know I will! 



Thanks for stopping by and spending a little bit of your day with me! :-) I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I will see you all back here real soon! 

~Julie


Pin It

6 comments:

Allison Cope said...

Oh my Julie! It's amazing! I love effect of the vellum layer! So striking! It's like having 2 completely different cards in one! Very cool!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Julie, I did see Jennifer's video and card, and I LOVE this one you've CASE'd! It's absolutely stunning, and I LOVE these camellias! Your coloring is amazing, and I love the colors you chose! The beautifully embossed image on the vellum is gorgeous with the sentiment and the sequins! Absolutely stunning card!

And, yes, Memorial Day is an extra special day to remember the many who sacrificed for us and for our freedom. It's especially hard as I remember a very dear young man I loved who gave his life in Vietnam, and I know many families suffer great loss. May we remember them and thank them, along with providing any help we can to them and their families. Big hugs, sweet friend!

Leslie Miller said...

Amazing! I've seen this technique and it looks fabulous with this gorgeous Power Poppy image! It seems like it would be hard to cover up that beautiful coloring of yours, but the result is wonderful. Enjoy your weekend, Julie!

Lisa Lara said...

I have not tried this technique. Your card is AHmazing Julie!

ChristineCreations said...

OH I love the overlay! Gorgeous colouring on the camellias too lady!

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgeous... Oh I love the vellum over lay. Classy looking!