Friday, June 23, 2017

Colorful Recap for YOU!


Happy Friday folks! I have a fun little recap to share on the 'ole blog today and it revolves around the colorful combo we unveiled earlier this week on The Blog over at Power Poppy!  Have you checked out this week's.....


I love this little challenge because it really encourages us all to look to some of the less used hot spots on our own personal color wheel and grab some combinations that we might not normally reach for! That's a good thing, right? It's called -- getting out of the comfort zone! 

This week's inspiration is one that touches my heart. Anyone who knew Marcella's amazing, artful, creative, joyful, exuberant, charismatic, and endearing mama --- Susan -- knew that she loved her New York Times crossword puzzles. So, when I spotted this photo below on Marcy's IG feed, I knew we had to make it the centerpiece of a Hues to Use Challenge. This is a photo below of Marcy remembering her mama and rising to the crossword of all crossword challenges in honor of this special lady. On top of that, who doesn't love a good, vibrant, and "contrasty" combo of pitch black, alabaster white and cardinal red? 


On to my creation! Not too long ago, I was walking around my neighborhood and spotted the most beautiful red azalea bush in full bloom. Honestly, living in the colder climate that I do (Montana), I didn't think we could grow azaleas. So this, my friends, was a bit of additional inspiration for my Hues to Use project for the week. Take a gander at this beauty, will you? This isn't my neighbor's plant but it looks just as vivid and lush! 

Source
 And so, after gazing on these rich red blossoms, this is what I came up with! 


I started with Power Poppy's stamp set Azalea, stamped it in Tuxedo Black Memento Ink and then, grabbed these Copic marker colors to get started!


I have to admit, coloring in shades of red is NOT my strong suit. Soooo....this was more than just a color challenge for me. It was an out and out challenge. Red has, in fact, always been the trickiest color for me. That's why I just breathed in the photo above before I even got started -- just to try to plan my color attack. I will say that I started dark to light with this one so that I could try to better control where the dark shades went. And this was the result.....


While it wasn't easy for me. I am rather pleased with how the coloring turned out! I actually might not shudder in my shoes next time I decide to go red! Moving on from there, it was all about the fussy cutting and matting. I grabbed bits and pieces from my decorative paper stash. Some of the paper is from My Mind's Eye. Some of the paper is from Stampin' Up. All of it is forever old! So, I was glad to be able to put some of these papers to good use! And that, my friends, is it!

BEFORE I LET YOU GO, I HAVE SOME 
EXCITING NEWS! 

Starting next month, those who play along in the Hues to Use challenge just might earn a spot guest hosting the post! In turn, that person will get access to some of the prettiest images on the planet! We'll supply a digital stamp set and let you strut your stuff! So again, how do you get in on the action? Play along! Marcella and I will be selecting people based on Hues to Use entries starting next month! So get those fingers inky and take these Hues to Use for a test drive and put cardinal red, pitch black and alabaster-white into creative play!


Now it's time to turn things over to my stampin' sistahs -- the Bloomies! Stop by, say "hi" and, take in just some of what they've been up to in their crafting spaces!

Christine Okken
Cindy Lawrence
Julie Koerber >> you are here!
Katie Sims
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker



Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

~Julie

No comments: