Sunday, October 7, 2007

It's a small world....

It's funny, when my stamp store asked me to do a demo on the new Thomas Kinkade stamps, I couldn't help but laugh. After all, some of my fellow design team members for Impression Obsession, also design for Cornish Heritage Farms! They've been posting their creations with these awesome stamps ---for months! So, it was an easy thing to say "yes" to with all of that creative inspiration out there. I have to admit, some of my designs are "influenced" by things they did that I loved. Other things, were techniques I special fit to these stamps. So check back all this week for what I guess we could call "Thomas Kinkade week!"

This first image is the super easy way to become a painter of light like the artist himself. Instead of coloring on the front of the image, I chose to stamp it on vellum using Staz-On ink and then color from the back with Prismacolor pencils. I found that the black lines on the front of the vellum helped to keep the image defined when adding the vibrant color. I started with the lightest colors first and then shaded with darker hues. I think this technique is an easy way to bring out the artist in us all! After I finished putting on my layers of color, I matted this on a vellum piece onto a piece of white card stock to help bring the colors out to their fullest. I then matted this onto a piece of burgundy card stock. I stamped the word "dream" on a piece of cream speckled card stock, cut it out and mounted it in the metal frame. I strung some burgundy ribbon through it and taped this not only to the back of the card, but used some mini glue dots to really tack this embellishment down. After mounting this to the front of your card... you're done!

No comments: