Friday, April 4, 2008

Color Block It!

Happy Friday y'all! It's been kind of quiet on the blog front for me this week--not a lot of surfing and checking out all the great things floating around out there!! Instead - tons of work. So, I am screaming TGIF!

One creative respite I can ALWAYS look forward to is the Stamp Simply challenge. It's the light at the end of the work-week tunnel. It's the visible finish line. It's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Ok, it's getting deep in here isn't it??? :-) You get my drift!!!

This week's challenge is to color block on your card and use at least three colors on your card. You can do it vertically, horizontally, make a patchwork of different size shapes -- the only limit is your imagination!!! Check out the details on Sharon's blog! And, while you're surfing, check out the others in Sharon's card making crew:

Here's what I cooked up!
For my card, I cut three strips of paper in hot pink, red and purple and then lined them all up and stamped this mondo Hero Arts stamp over top all three with black ink. The background is actually a different stamp on the white. I used some of the flowers from the Silhouette Blooms I set from Cornish Heritage Farms. I actually cheated on this a bit. I had this scrap that I stamped and didn't use for a card -- just didn't work. Well, when I was putting together this card. I eyed it and said, "HHhhhmmm. That might just work for my base layer. " I was going to use yet another color instead! I think this option worked. I also notched out the bright pink with a 1-1/4" circle punch and then also did this to the black mat, only I used a 1" for this layer. I used my slot punch to string some polka dot ribbon through and then added my Cuttlebug ribbon slide tag. The saying is by Impression Obsession (not yet released) and was stamped on a 1" punched circle.

Here's a close up of the tag....
I should mention, this card was based on a sketch Debbie Olson did forever ago. I tried to find it on her blog, but couldn't. This was from memory. I think it's the same!!! Oh well, that's all folks! Hope you take some time to play and take part in Sharon's challenge! She rocks.


p.s. Check back later... might have some fun news to share!!!

28 comments:

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

A totally gorgeous card!!! I love your take on the color blocking -- so pretty and fun, too!!! Love your ribbon treatment and the notched out panel!!! And now you have me curious about the *news* -- hhhmmmmm -- I'll be back -- LOL!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!! I love your take on the challenge:) You have news?? Do tell! You Rock and so does your blog so...I will wait patiently to read the news!! WTG:)

Anonymous said...

Julie, this card is gorgeous!!!!
Love the colors.
I am curious about the new too,:D:D.

Tammy Hershberger said...

You used my MOST favorite Hero Arts DesignBlock stamps, and the colors you used are gorgeous! What a great idea to stamp the whole stamp on the color blocks! I never think outside the box like that!

Will have to watch for your "news!" Hmmm...

Mescrap said...

It's really gorgeous !
Love the sharp combi colour of the card.

Jen said...

Your card is very pretty, simple but effective it. I love it.
And the news, well i will be cgq'n back! TFS

Penny said...

It's so pretty, love the strong colours and the 3 panels design.

Janine said...

Beautiful card Julie... Hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Jennifer Buck said...

This is awesome! I love it! Can't wait for your good news! I love good news! ...come on...give a hint! ;) Take care!

Jeannie said...

Now I love this card too! Your take on the color blocking is completely different than Sharon's, but it's so lovely! TFS! Jeanne

Karen Lindsay said...

Beautiful color combination and, as always, a unique and interesting sketch. Love it!

Broni said...

This is truly a gorgeous card, Julie! I love that you stamped directly on the color blocks!!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful, Julie. Love the color combinations and the way it all fits together with the black and white background. Very Cool!

Laura Davis said...

Beautiful card Julie! I just displayed my award proudly on my blog:) Thanks again you are so sweet!
Laura

Annapurna said...

Beautiful!

Did you know you won at stamper's dream? I thought I will make your day, just in case you did not know :-)

Darlene said...

This is fantastic! Love how you did your "color blocking"! You are an inspiration. Hope to play later and see what I can come up with! News??? Hmmm???

Anonymous said...

Julie, this is so stunning and dramatic! I love the colors you used! Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS ON GINA K!!! SO AWESOME!!! Your card is so pretty too! I really wanted to stop by and say how happy I was to see your shining face on Gina's blog ;)

Diane said...

Congrats Julie on your news,I saw what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beautiful card and CONGRATULATIONS!

Broni said...

Woo hoo!!! I just saw the great news you were talking about!!! Congratulations!!!! They are so lucky to have you!!

dpkennedy said...

Wow, this is beautiful! Great design and colors!

Kira said...

I really, really love this! Such a good idea! I just adore the stamps over the colour blocks as though it is outlined against a skyline. It reminds me a bit of a sunset!

Joan Fricker said...

This is beautiful! I love the colors. It is amazing how colors can absolutely make the card. Great job.

Joan

Julia Aston said...

Love the colors on your panels and the stamping on them - wonderful card!

www.createwithjulia.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

oooh, love this, will give it a try sometime :)

Maria said...

Wow, love your card! I love the bright colors! It's stunning!

Maria

Anonymous said...

Great card and fabulous colors!!
I haven't used my slide tag die in forever--thanks for reminding me that I have it!

Heather said...

Wow, what a gorgeous example of color blocking.