Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A fun project for the gals in your life!

Hi all! Well, last week I promised that I would take some time every now and then to share some of the craftiness other than stamping. Today, I have a fun project that I whipped up not too long ago for my daughter and I think that these would make darling little inexpensive stocking stuffers for the gals in your life!

What are they? No slip headbands in all kinds of colors and styles! What makes them "no slip?" The inside is lined with a strip of velvet helping the headband to stay put. My daughter plays sports and it used to be a common problem -- slippy slidey headbands that would literally fly off right in the middle of all the action! Not any more!

So, let me share how I made them! This is what you need:


-7/8" wide grosgrain ribbon
-7/8" wide velvet
-1/4" black elastic
-glue runner
-black thread or color of choice
-tape measure

Step 1: Pick out some fun ribbon and cut off 16" of ribbon. Cut 15-1/2" of velvet.


Step 2: Using a glue runner, run a strip down the center of the ribbon and fold down the ends. 


Step 3: Lay the Velvet down allowing it to stick with the help of the strip of glue. 


Step 4: Sew 1/8" down each side of your headband.


This is what it will look like when you're done with that last step.....


Step 5: Slip the 1/4" wide black elastic between the two ribbons and sew it in place using a 1/8" seam. Do this on both sides. 


This is what the headband looks like finished!

Finished it is 20" wide and fits my daughter's head and most of her friends. So, the ribbon, folded and seamed is 15-1/2 and I used a 5" piece of elastic that I tucked in on both sides leaving about 4-1/2" exposed -- again -- making the finished band about 20".

Here's a peek at what I did in less than an hour.....

And here is one of them in action! ;-)



Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Hope you enjoyed this little tutorial -- these headbands are so easy, so inexpensive (less than $2 per band) and super fun! My daughter now has about a dozen to go with any and every outfit she owns!

Be sure to stop back by tomorrow for Flourishes first day of sneak peeks! There's lots of fun planned and, of course, lots of beautiful inspiration from the whole Flourishes Design Team! Stay tuned!


~Julie


Pin It

1 comment:

Leslie Miller said...

Great project! I have a friend who would just love this, as she's big into sewing headbands, scrunchies, hair decor, hats, you name it. Thanks, Julie!