Sunday, February 15, 2009

How I spent part of my Valentine's Day

I'm interupting my normal posts here to bring you a piece of my life! It's part of my life that I haven't really shared. Since it is so close to my heart I thought -- there's no better time to spill the beans than Valentine's Day!


For the past 13 years, I've been working with the department of Child and Family services to give new hope to the state's adoptable kids. I've been a reporter for our local TV station for an ongoing series that features kids waiting to be adopted and let's them -- in their own words-- share the dreams they have of having a forever family. It's been one of the most rewarding things in my life.

Today, we took these children's stories in a new direction. We opened up what's called The Heart Gallery at our mall here in Billings. The goal is to showcase these kids in an artistic way through photos and allow those that go to the mall to connect with these kids! We teamed up with a well known photographer (Clark Marten) to capture these kids on film and man, oh man, when the "gallery" opened today, it was an awesome feeling! The kids were literally giddy!


Here's a look at all of us as we opened up our exhibit! We've got four of the kids, social workers, the marketing manager at the mall and the photographer all there under one roof to kick this big event off!


Here's Ashley, one of the kiddos, being interviewed by our local paper....
Here's a shot of the gallery itself. We have 6 children featured and hope to feature more as these children are adopted! Aren't they beautiful??

Here's a photo of Betty (one of the kiddos) with one of her social workers looking at the gallery...
Gosh what a rewarding day and a wonderful way to kick off Valentine's Day. Thanks for letting me share!!! I'm getting a little teary eyed just thinking about it all!
Have a good rest of the weekend! I'll be back with more crafty stuff soon!
Post a Comment