Sunday, February 15, 2009

How I spent part of my Valentine's Day

I'm interupting my normal posts here to bring you a piece of my life! It's part of my life that I haven't really shared. Since it is so close to my heart I thought -- there's no better time to spill the beans than Valentine's Day!


For the past 13 years, I've been working with the department of Child and Family services to give new hope to the state's adoptable kids. I've been a reporter for our local TV station for an ongoing series that features kids waiting to be adopted and let's them -- in their own words-- share the dreams they have of having a forever family. It's been one of the most rewarding things in my life.

Today, we took these children's stories in a new direction. We opened up what's called The Heart Gallery at our mall here in Billings. The goal is to showcase these kids in an artistic way through photos and allow those that go to the mall to connect with these kids! We teamed up with a well known photographer (Clark Marten) to capture these kids on film and man, oh man, when the "gallery" opened today, it was an awesome feeling! The kids were literally giddy!


Here's a look at all of us as we opened up our exhibit! We've got four of the kids, social workers, the marketing manager at the mall and the photographer all there under one roof to kick this big event off!


Here's Ashley, one of the kiddos, being interviewed by our local paper....
Here's a shot of the gallery itself. We have 6 children featured and hope to feature more as these children are adopted! Aren't they beautiful??

Here's a photo of Betty (one of the kiddos) with one of her social workers looking at the gallery...
Gosh what a rewarding day and a wonderful way to kick off Valentine's Day. Thanks for letting me share!!! I'm getting a little teary eyed just thinking about it all!
Have a good rest of the weekend! I'll be back with more crafty stuff soon!

22 comments:

Paula's ponderings said...

Thats wonderful congratulations and yes, a great way to spend Valentines Day, its all about love!

Anonymous said...

what a heartwarming post Julie. I had no idea that you did this. Wow, you have just become an even more beautiful person to me!

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Wow - good for you! What an incredible thing you're doing for these kids. Thanks to you and your mom, there are a lot of kids across this country whose lives have been made a whole lot better. Thanks for sharing this.

The Rubber Maid said...

I love this project and the success you have had with it. You are blessed by God for doing his work and helping so many children over the years find their family and home. Keep on going DD the work is not yet done. The photos are too awesome for words! Can't wait to see this in person. I am so proud of you and know your Dad is too. Love you so much, Mom

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful thing, Julie. At the same time, it breaks my heart. I hope there's a happy ending for all the kids.

Stacy Morgan said...

Oh Julie this is wonderful and such a thoughtful idea. I really pray that people connect with these children and want to change not only their lives but one of these childrens lives and adopt them. This is such touching thing you are doing. Thank you for sharing with us! Keep me posted personally if you can on how this is going! Hugs...

"Kirby" (KrB) said...

Julie, What an incredible endeavor and ministry. It makes me teary eyed too! Keep us posted on how this goes. My heart goes out to kids without a family. Wow! Great way to spend Valentine's Day!!

ReneeK said...

Hi Julie!

I'm back from Billings and I gotta tell ya, I was RIGHT THERE at that exhibit yesterday...but I didn't see it because we were too busy at Sunglass Experts trying find clip-on sunglasses for my husband's new glasses. Darn, I'm sorry I missed it!

I promised Lovely I would leave a comment here, so Lovely, here is your comment! I enjoyed seeing you yesterday and hope we will meet again soon!

Renee K
http://themessonmydesk.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you do to open opportunity for these Montana loving adoptables. Excitement!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Oh, wow, Julie. what a wonderful thing you are doing. So pulls at my heart to think what those kids go through, wishing and praying for that most basic thing that so many of us take for granted. I will say a special prayer for them tonight, and one of gratitude for you. Hugs!!!

ChristineCreations said...

A beautiful story Julie! I was wiping away tears too! Home for these kids and families who will love them - oh my heart prays they find each other!

You are a good woman Ms. Julie! And I'd love to see you in action on camera too! :)

Starry7678 said...

Hi Julie, what a wonderful thing you are doing. My oldest daughter is adopted - the state we went thru kind of crazy but her bio-mom handed her over to us in the hospital parking lot. Long story but it worked out wonderfully. I dont know why more people don't adopt. You are truly blessed for bringing these kids in the fore front. Hugs Marilynn

Sharon said...

Thank you for this wonderful story of hope and compassion. Just goes to show how each one of us can make a difference somewhere, somehow. God bless you and those precious kids! xoxo Sharon NJ

Unknown said...

How wonderful :o) I always feel so sad for the "waiting children." My husband and I are adoptive parents of four...while waiting for a private adoption to go through we became foster parents and consequently adopted three more through the foster to adopt system in Pa. We live in TX now and are waiting on acceptance for a sibling group of seven (sigh...I still have a bit of a panic attack every time I say that. This is so stinkin' amazing. through our recent adoption/request, I have become aware of the 84 PAGES of waiting kids here in TX. I am heartbroken. I think this is an awesome project. Thanks for sharing and for always sharing your art!!
hugs,
Holly

Jan Castle said...

Good for you Julie! I'm adopted...so I highly recommend it...LOL! Our daughter and her husband (he was adopted 40 years ago) adopted a son. They are involved in publicity as well - Dad and son adopted from the same agency - bringing it full circle.
Keep up the good work!
Jan

Diane said...

Oh Julie! You are just like your Mom,so caring,so giving and just a wonderful person!!! What you are doing is so special and this must be so rewarding in so many ways!
YOU ROCK GIRL!!!

Bev J. said...

Thanks for the wonderful work you are doing. A wonderful valentine for all those kids. tfs

Unknown said...

Your heartwarming post literally had me in tears! Kudos to you for your generosity of time and love! I will pray that all these children find a loving home.

Elena said...

Thank you for the story, Julie! You are doing such an amazing things for kids!

Darlene said...

Oh my word ... let me get the lump out of my throat so I can say "GOD BLESS YOU" for BEING there for these kids!! What a wonderful thing you are doing and what an awesome direction to take it!! GREAT IDEA having the gallery in the mall ... such exposure I'm sure will be rewarded. WOW ... I'm just in awe of you!!! Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful Julie, prayers are being sent for their adoptions!

Stef Perry said...

Very meaningful work, Julie. Pretty much puts in all in perspective, doesn't it? Happy Valentine's Day (a few days late) and thank you for putting some true heart into the holiday. You are a good example for all of us.