Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Did you have a FAT Tuesday??

I did!!! :-) I actually REALLY did. I have a good friend who is quite the chef. She called me late Tuesday morning and says.... Are you home? I say "Yes" and she responds, "I'll be right over." Well, this nice lady knew my polish heritage and made me Packzis for fat Tuesday! Bless her soul!

Here's a peek! they were filled with a fruit filling that tasted like a mixed berry. It was very, very good! I can only imagine how long these took in the kitchen. Making them, from what I've been told, isn't easy!!

Well, in light of yesterday, I made a card for another dear friend, Jan Marie Caruso (who is one of the owners of Flourishes) because today is her BIRTHDAY!!!! When I think of Jan, I think of a spirited woman who has a lot of ties to New Orleans. So, in honor of her special day, I made her a card truly fitting for her! I picked up my Flourishes Mardi Gras set (truly a fun set!) and the wheels started spinning!

I stamped the silhouette in black ink on some distressed pink paper from the Bittersweet Basic Grey collection. Then, I grabbed my Inkssentials pen and started to highlight parts of the "marchers" shirts to make it pop. I also colored the horn with my Zig fine tip gold pen. Add some sparkle to my umbrella handles with a Stardust Gelly Roll pen and you're almost done!

Here's a close up!I used the Bittersweet paper for the base of my card and also made a tag out of the pink with the "You Stand Out In A Crowd" sentiment (Impression Obsession). The punch is from Martha Stewart and the bling is from Kaiser. Add some black and white sheer ribbon and... fini!

Hope you have a fabulous birthday Jan Marie!

Thanks everyone for stopping by! I'll see you all back here soon!



18 comments:

flourishes said...

OMGosh that is so wonderful Julie. Thanks for a truly fitting birthday card. I was in New Orleans for Copic on Friday and actually got to sit ant watch as they loaded the revelers on the floats and rolled out to a great night parade. Laissez le bonne temps roule...Merci Julie!

Latisha said...

What a wonderful post! Those thingys...with the fruit in them look and sound good! What a perfect birthday card for Jan Marie, totally perfect.
So what are you giving up for lent? Now this I can't wait to here.

Jan Castle said...

Looks just like New Orleans! Great card Julie!!!
Jan

Norine said...

this is such a great card and now I'm hungry LOL
Hugs
Norine

Nancy said...

What a great birthday card! Love it!
Oh my, that treat your friend brought over looks yummy!

The Rubber Maid said...

Lucky you, home made Punchkies! yeah I know that's not how to spell it but who spells it...you eat it. I settled for a jelly donut from the store. Love you N'orleans card, it is so cute. Mom

Anonymous said...

this is very nice card.
and that was so sweet of your neighbor to bring those yummies to you!

Ann said...

Very cool card! The white is really eye-catching.

Is that a new set? I can't find it on the Flourishes website.

Stacy Morgan said...

Okay those so made me hungry. hee hee Your ragtag band is awesome, so so love the white collars. Perfect card!

Anonymous said...

Perfect for Jan! I love your idea of highlighting the images. Let me see...did I have a Fat Tuesday? Well, I had some popcorn... What a good friend to make those yummy treats for you!

ChristineCreations said...

Ok, the food looks YUMMY, and the card is wonderful, so sweet for Jan Marie!

Joan Fricker said...

Julie, great card! The colors and stamp are perfect for a New orleans card.
Joan

Elena said...

What a wonderful card! Love the highlights!!!
Your first picture made me hungry!

Diane said...

Those look delicious with a capital D!!!!
The card looks great too but the pastry is making me droooooolll!!!!

Kimberly Crawford said...

Fabulous card!! How perfect! :)

Shirley said...

I love love love your card! It really does sing and dance too!

Anonymous said...

Card is so fun...sure does remind you of New Orleans. It also reminds me of some of their funeral processions [doesn't it?]. Your picture of your "treats" inspired me to Google. I looked for the history and recipe. I would love to try to make those yummy Fat Tuesday treats! -durandconnie

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I gained 5 pounds just looking at the picture!! Awesome card - love how you highlighted the silhouette!!