Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Calling Cards.....

I have some fun news to share! Back in December, I got a pretty cool email from Dawn Gehring with Crafts 'n Things asking me if I was up for a Designer Challenge. The challenge would be to use business cards in a crafty way. Myself and three other designers were given the sheets of Avery Dennison business cards that you can run through your printer. Did you know they are a beautiful surface to stamp on? They just take the ink beautifully!


Well, the wheels started spinning and now - the April issue is about to hit the stands with these fun projects!


As you can see below, I chose to actually make the business cards into crafty calling cards! I even altered a tin as a decorative case that comes complete with a little bling! Recognize the stamps? None other than the Stamp Simply Thank You set by Flourishes! This is, by far, one of my all time favorite Flourishes set.


Here's a peek at the whole set...


And, this is how it fits inside my tin...

And, last but not least - this is what it looks like when you put the lid in place!
Want to find out how I did it all? You'll have to check out the April Issue of Crafts 'n Things. I even have a bonus project that shows a really fun way to create a great little gift that's a perfect stuffer for your purse! I'm honored to say there are a few other projects of mine inside. It was so fun opening the mail today and seeing the issue! Can you tell I'm jazzed?

Stick around, I'll be back with Sharon Johnson's Stamp Simply challenge -- let's just say -- this challenge will have you moving in reverse! (yep, that was your hint!) See you back here soon!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie I LOVE these!! I had to call my DH immediately and have him come and see them because just yesterday he was talking to me about an idea for my stamping that he thought would be really cool... Guess what it was!! Yup he thought it would be awesome to hand stamp business cards. I just showed these to him and he's like, "Oh yeah.. WOW!" These are wonderful!

Karen W said...

What a cool idea!! Love your blog and get so much inspiration from you, thanks so much!!

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Julie, this is a great project. I was thinking of doing the same thing to take with me to CHA, but didn't get to it - I even have an Altoid's tin all ready to be altered!

Congrats on being in the magazine - can't wait to get my copy!

Janine said...

Fabulous Julie and ocngrats on being in the magazine... You are amazing!!!

Etha said...

Oh wow this set is just stunning! Love how your cards are sprinkled with yellow a bit and the decoration of the box is amazing!! Such a great idea :) congrats on having so many projects in this issue, I'll be sure to check it out!

Cathy and Steve said...

Julie, these are absolutely gorgeous! I have to tell you, Avery also makes clean edge business cards from white vellum card stock (Avery #8874) that is equally fabulous for stamping business cards. I love the look and feel of vellum, and I especially love that I can change my stamped floral design with the seasons or simply on a whim, and changing the color of the font to coordinate is equally a breeze.

Cathy and Steve said...

And PS.... you should be totally jazzed!!! Can't wait to see the magazine and all your great projects! Congratulations!!!

The Rubber Maid said...

Love these cards and the tin is beautiful to hold them in.Very nice. Mom

Curt in Indy said...

These certainly have the WOW factor! Fabulous job on this unique idea! And of course with the Julie style to go a step above and make the matching tin! Amazing job! Congrats on the magazine! Best, Curt

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! This project is just fabulous...as are all of your other projects :)

Norine said...

now that is so pretty what a great way to have business cards love the design and colors
Hugs
Norine

retiredheather said...

These are are great. What a wonderful idea. Congrats on the publication.
Hugs
Heather

marcie said...

Beautiful cards Julie!! Congrats on being published and I can't wait to get my copy!

Anonymous said...

I really like these! I think you just gave me an idea since I'm building my stamping business (doing classes) and my first one is pretty soon! What a great presentation for your business cards! TFS!

krcrafts said...

What a beautiful set. And it's so you! Congratulations on your many projects published in this issue. Can't wait to get mine so I can see them!

Ann said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Love to see you in a magazine -- good work, girl!

Anonymous said...

Yep! Definitely magazine worthy. Well done, Julie. Not only beautiful, but practical, too. Thanks for the IO warm-up shot. Weatherman says 30s & sun for tomorrow. Damn, but that sounds like a lottery-winning dream.

Michelle Woerner said...

WOW! Julie, these are super cute! How amazing (yet, not surprising) that you were contacted by a magazine!! I will have to take a look at that issue at my LSS!!

Oh, and on a much smaller scale, did you see page 40 of the current (mar/april) issue of PaperCrafts Magazine? My first publication!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Julie - what a fun idea!!! These business cards turned out fab!!!

Diane said...

I'm just going to have to get the magazine! Way to go girl!!!
What a stunning tin and cards !!!

"Kirby" (KrB) said...

Julie, I love your calling cards and matching tin. So classy! Congrats on getting it published - that's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Julie! Eyepopping practicality! Good reminder to print
more interesting name cards.
Keep Looking UP!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Those are fabulous, Julie! I've been trying to think how to stamp business cards... Thanks for doing the hard part for me! ;)